Thursday, May 3, 2012

6

TED Talk's Howard Rheingold says that humans are prone to sharing. In experiments, people were willing to do a 50-50 split of $100 because the money was divided equally. This emphasizes people's willingness to cooperate with each other. He also goes on to urge businesses to try open source collaborating. He says that it is a way to come up with unique ideas and progress old ones. His talk relates to the open-source movement because it is about sharing information among a group of collaborators to come up with the best possible solution to an idea or problem.

I think the open-source movement is a good idea, however, I believe a lot of people will run into copyright issues because others will "steal" their ideas and profit from them. Although I think this type of collaboration can be good for think-tanks and non-profit businesses, I myself would be wary about sharing my ideas because so many people could steal or warp them. Some businesses could definitely gain success from this type of strategy. I know that video game designers often share their code with gamers to see what type of modifications they come up with. Software companies have beta testing for this exact reason--to hear what people's opinions are and their solutions for progressing the software.

No comments:

Post a Comment